Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. Every Tuesday, participating book bloggers blog about their top ten lists.
Christmas is in two days and I’m probably not going to do much the day of but I’m probably going to beg my parents to let me see the end-of-year Christmas book sales. And most of the books on here will probably be really predictable because I have a really strict policy when it comes to buying books.
In order for it to qualify for a book I want to buy it has to fall under one of the below categories.
1. I’m so excited about it that I really wouldn’t mind it if I bought a copy.
2. I’ve read it and I really want to add it to my shelf.
3. It is a sequel or part of a series of books that I loved.
4. There has been considerable hype over the novel and a lot of my friends liked it.
5. I was feeling rebellious.
6. I’m really curious about the book by the title or cover alone.
7. The local library doesn’t have it but I still want to read it.
8. It has amazing reviews on Goodreads.
The thing is that I don’t want to have to waste shelf space or money on books that I really don’t like. I’d much rather read a copy from the library first.
1. Jasper Dent Series – Barry Lyga
Not a surprise as I’ve flailed about this book series millions of times.
The hardcover book also has a really cool design. It has this blood splatter design on it. The entire series has them .
2. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas – John Boyne
I’ve heard so many great things about this novel and I really want to read it before seeing the movie. Everybody I’ve heard from has said that it was really sad but amazing. I also really like the simplistic, stripey cover.
3. Sleepaway Girls (Whispering Pines #1) – Jen Calonita
This falls under number 7. Also, I’m a sucker for summer camp settings. I don’t know why but I just really like reading about summer camp life. I think it’s because I find it really refreshing and because I’ve never experienced the classic sleepaway summer camp.
4. The Berlin Boxing Club – Robert Sharenow
I’m really intrigued by this book and I have this feeling that I’ll like it (even though 99% of the time, my instinct is wrong).
5. I’ll Give You the Sun – Jandy Nelson
The colorful cover has won me over and there has been a lot of hype over it.
6. Classics that I should read at some point
I think this is some way that I try to guilt myself into reading more classics (although I’m pretty sure it’s not working).
7. Percy Jackson’s Greek Gods – Rick Riordan
Just to complete my series. I’ve also heard that this is the return of Percy’s snarky voice which is something I’m looking forward to because he was just so different in the Heroes of Olympus series. If I get this, I’m snuggling into bed to read it.
8. The Diviners – Libba Bray
(Insert intense flailing from other Top Ten Tuesdays)
Only the original print cover. The newer one has such an ugly design. *sighs*
9. ARCs of books I’m looking forward to
You know… just because. *Whistles inconspicuously*
10. The Piper’s Son – Melina Marchetta
And only the Australian cover. It’s just so much prettier than the American covers. And because MELINA MARCHETTA. Let’s just throw all Melina Marchetta on this list. Because I want a collection